Weekly Newsletter 2/5/18
Dear St. Paul Families and Friends,
Congratulations to our JV basketball teams for a remarkable showing at this weekend’s End of Season Tournament at Immanuel, Giddings! The Boys team captured the championship, while the Girls battled to claim third place. It was a long, fun day of spirited games, and a wonderful way to cap off their season. We are grateful for the time and dedication of our fearless Lion leaders, Coach Chris Gerren, Coach Becky Cavage, and Coach Shannon Meadors, who have so generously given of themselves this season. Check out our school Facebook page for more from the tourney!
IT’S DESSERT TIME!
One of the specific ways our school families give back to St. Paul is by supporting the Annual Church BBQ and Auction. School families, under the leadership of the PTF, help with the desserts at the BBQ. Families are asked to bring a dessert that can be portioned for service (cupcakes, cake, pie, cookies, donuts, etc.). Desserts can be brought to school FRI, FEB 9, or to the Fireman’s Hall SAT, FEB 10 (morning). If you would like to help with the dessert portioning and service SUN, FEB 11, please contact Mrs. Fisher in the School Office. It’s one of the sweetest ways to give back!
VALENTINE’S DAY PARTIES
We will celebrate Valentine’s Day next WED, FEB 14. Details are posted to Praxi and will be sent home today/tomorrow. Because it is also Ash Wednesday, we will move our mid-week Chapel service to 8:30 AM for all students. Families are welcomed to join us for this service. Pre-K will celebrate Valentine’s Day at their morning snack time. Kinder through Grade 8 will celebrate at 2:45 PM.
- Tonight: PTF meeting at 6:04 PM. Child care provided in gym. Whether it’s your 20th meeting, or your first, we invite you to attend! Cupcakes for the class with the most parents in attendance. You may notice that the 5/6 Grade class is a strong contender for the cupcake reward. That’s not a fluke! Many Lion parents baby step into leadership roles with the PTF, learning from experienced Lions before jumping all in. By 5/6 Grade, parents have learned the ropes and feel confident and empowered to take on specific duties (all while still learning, together, as a team!). We’re looking for our next generation of Lion leaders to join us. See you tonight!
- Tonight: A meeting for DC Trip families (current Grade 6/7) to discuss fundraising will be immediately following the PTF meeting.
- Tomorrow: Lions host Austin Royals. Note game times have changed! V Girls at 3 PM, V Boys at 4 PM, JV Girls at 5 PM, and JV Boys at 6 PM. This will be the last game for the JV Girls, so don’t miss the chance to cheer for your Lions! Sign-up for concessions HERE.
- Friday: Lions host Bastrop Tribe. V Girls at 4 PM and V Boys at 5 PM. Sign-up for concessions HERE.
- Sunday: K-Grade 8 students will sing at the 10:30 AM Worship Service. We look forward to hearing these sweet voices in song! This will also be Pastor Scott’s last sermon to preach here at St. Paul, before he leaves for his service to Trinity, Taylor. His last day here in the office will be FEB 14.
- Sunday: Annual St. Paul Church and School BBQ and Auction. Lunch service starts at 11 AM and the Thorndale Volunteer Fireman’s Hall ($10 per plate at the door). Live auction begins at 12:30 PM. Each school class has created a special item for the Live Auction, which typically create a stir among bidders. Don’t miss your chance at these one-of-a-kind milestone items! All are welcome to join us for this annual event for food, fun, and fellowship for a great cause!
NOTES AND REMINDERS:
- February tuition is now due. Please also check to ensure lunch balances or other fees (after school, snack fee, concession tabs) have also been paid.
- We are considering adding a Mother’s Day Out program for two year-olds next school year. Please contact me for more (preliminary) information or to add your name to the “interested” list. Please also share this with family, friends, or neighbors who may also be interested, as we know this is a need throughout our community.
- Registration forms for Milam County PONY (baseball and softball) are available in the office. We do not collect registrations here – parents turn in directly to the organization. Registration closes SAT, FEB 17. Please see their website for turn-in dates or more information.
Field trips are being finalized, and will be added to the list as they are approved
- FEB 14: Valentine’s Day Parties
- FEB 16-18: Lutheran Middle School State Basketball Tournament (Tomball)
- FEB 19: School Holiday – President’s Day
- MAR 4: All students sing at the 10:30 AM Worship Service, for National Lutheran Schools Week
- MAR 5-9: National Lutheran Schools Week
- MAR 7: Open House, Living Museum, and National Lutheran Schools Week Luncheon
- MAR 7: PTF Hosts and Serves Lenten Meal
- MAR 9: Early Release at Noon
- MAR 12-16: Spring Break
- MAR 20: Confirmation Questioning
- MAR 23: No School
- MAR 23: PSIA District Meet at Immanuel, Giddings and Milam County Junior Livestock Show
- MAR 25: Confirmation (Palm Sunday)
- MAR 29: Early Release at Noon (Easter Holiday)
- MAR 30: Good Friday Holiday
- APR 2: Bad Weather Make-Up Day (to be announced)
- APR 3: Extracurricular Banquet (Sports, PSIA, Spelling Bee) 6 PM at St. Paul
- APR 6: Immanuel, Giddings Field Day for K-Grade 4
- APR 10-11: STAAR Test Grades 7-8
- APR 20: St. Paul Field Day – All Lion paws on deck! Grades 3-8 compete. No school for Pre-K-Grade 2.
- APR 23-27: Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) testing. Please try to avoid appointments so students are here for all parts of the test.
- APR 29: PTF Planning Retreat (lunch)
- MAY 5: PSIA State Meet at TCU, Ft. Worth
- MAY 7: STAAR Test Algebra
- MAY 16-17: STAAR Test Grades 6-8
- MAY 20: Retirement Luncheon for Mrs. Melcher
- MAY 23: Graduation for Pre-K, Kindergarten, and Grade 8
- MAY 24: Last Day of School – Noon Release
Serving Him and You,
Mr. Corey Moss