Notes from the Secretary 8/31/17
NOTE: I am sending this “reminder” type email to our friends and family distribution list, as you may wish know more about our Harvey Relief efforts. You (and the community) are welcome to join us tomorrowto sort, label, and prep, or we invite you to drop off items before 4 PM tomorrow. See below for details.
HARVEY SERVICE OPPORTUNITY: Please join us tomorrow at 4 PM in the gym to help sort, label, and prepare items to be delivered to Austin for evacuees. (Volunteers of all ages are welcomed.) Many of these families have absolutely nothing, as police officers have explained some children have come wrapped only in a towel, after their parents removed dirty, wet clothing. We will sort and label items that have been collected as part of the “Stiles Mission” efforts across town, so that they may be more easily delivered to locations that need them this weekend. The City of Austin is preparing to house 6,000 evacuees in a mega-shelter at the convention center. They have asked for donations of a “welcome kit,” supplies that evacuees need NOW, and that are easily stored, distributed, and accessible. It’s not too late to donate items as requested by the “Stiles Mission” efforts (see Facebook for details), or to prepare welcome kits. Time is of the essence in this situation, and items should be at St. Paul or the trailer at Uptown Cafe by 4 PM tomorrow.
- Welcome Kit – Place items in a large, reusable bag or plastic container with lid: towel, washcloth, soap, tissue, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, shampoo, comb/brush, blanket, pillow, wipes, baby bottles/formula, diapers, baby food, note of encouragement.
Chapel offerings for the first quarter of school will be designated to specific rebuilding efforts to our south. These will likely include churches, schools, and homes identified to us by the Texas District, LCMS. A door offering will be collected at the Sunday worship services, and designated to clean-up and rebuilding efforts, supplies, or activities.
NOTES AND REMINDERS:
- Today: Football practice 4-5:30 PM. Volleyball practice (JV) 4:15-5:45 and (V) 5:45-7:15 PM.
- Tomorrow: Yearbook signing party 3-3:30 PM. All students from last year will receive their pre-paid copy at the party. Limited extra copies are $15 each.
- Tomorrow: Harvey relief efforts — sort, label, prep “Stiles Mission” items for Saturday delivery — 4 PM St. Paul gym.
- Sunday: Sunday School 9:15 AM and worship services at 8 AM and 10:15 AM.
- Monday: No School — Labor Day Holiday.
- Tuesday: Lions (Volleyball) at Redeemer, Austin. Permission form DUE TOMORROW (was sent home yesterday). Depart St. Paul 3:15 PM for games at 5 PM (JV) and 6 PM (V).
- Tuesday: Lions (Football) practice 4-5:30 PM.
- Lunch menu is available and posted in Praxi. Hard copies in office. Tomorrow’s menu is beef nachos, Spanish rice, pinto beans, and dessert.
- PTF Rally MON, SEP 11 at 6:04 PM. Book Fair will be open for meeting attendees, only, following the meeting.
- Book Fair SEP 11-15. More information regarding hours and volunteer needs coming soon!
- Grandparent’s Day Luncheon WED, SEP 13. RSVP form in Sunday church bulletin and sent home next week.
- CHANGE! School pictures are WED, SEP 20. This includes the fall individual pictures that we use for yearbook, and volleyball and football. Order forms will be sent home next week.
- Please CALL the office for any student notifications or plan changes during the day (bus ride, pick up by family or friend, after school, etc.). I do not always see emails in time to notify students or teachers. I (try to) take a lunch break in the middle of the afternoon, and am often back-and-forth to my desk with student. teacher, volunteer, and facility needs across the campus. Our number is (512) 898-2711.
- Informational flyers for karate classes taught at Thorndale ISD are available in the office.
Courtney Fisher, School Secretary and Lion Mom